Arsenic Exposure May Be Creating A Drug-Resistant Parasite

Study in India suggests that the toxic element is making people there more vulnerable to the disease visceral leishmaniasis

In parts of the Indian subcontinent, the only source of drinking water is groundwater that naturally contains arsenic. Lacking the means to remove the toxic substance, millions of people in these regions succumb to arsenic poisoning each year, dramatically increasing their risk of skin disease, heart disease, and cancer.

A recent study by an international team brings more bad news for those exposed to arsenic in drinking water: The troublesome chemical element may be helping . . .

One thought on “Arsenic Exposure May Be Creating A Drug-Resistant Parasite

Leave a Reply